9.30am – 5.00pm
This course will provide participants with an introduction to the theory and practice of cognitive analytic therapy (CAT).
Who should attend?
This course would be of interest to mental health professionals who want to incorporate CAT concepts and tools into their therapeutic work with individuals or groups. It would also be useful for those considering whether to apply for a two year CAT Practitioner Training Course.
• To introduce course members to the theory and practice of CAT
• To understand key concepts used in CAT, including reciprocal roles, dilemmas, snags and traps and reformulation
• To explore the use of CAT tools in therapeutic practice, including the psychotherapy file, therapeutic letters, diagrams and goodbye letters
• To consider current applications of CAT in the NHS
• To look at endings in brief, time-limited therapeutic interventions through the lens of CAT theory
• To plan with participants ways in which aspects of CAT could be introduced into, or adapted for, their own clinical practice
About the course presenters
Rachael Howell - Rachael is a Clinical Psychologist and CAT practitioner working in a Specialist Older Adults Mental Health Service within NHS. She makes use of the CAT model for formulation and intervention with older people, including those with complex issues of later life. She also draws on CAT-informed ideas during team formulation, to support colleagues to think about their work with clients and families.
Sarah Pratap – Sarah is a Clinical Psychologist working in the NHS with people with severe and complex mental health difficulties. Sarah is a qualified CAT practitioner and supervisor and uses CAT both with individual clients and in helping the team think about complex cases. Sarah is also trained in EMDR and Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy and enjoys thinking about how she can integrate this into her CAT work.
This course is offered free to employees of Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, and is open to others at a cost of £150 per head.
To reserve a place, please return your completed application form to
Niki Larsen-Johnson by Friday 10th June 2022 firstname.lastname@example.org
This site has recently been updated to be Mobile Friendly. We are working through the pages to check everything is working properly. If you spot a problem please email email@example.com and we'll look into it. Thank you.