We are pleased to let ACAT members know that the Association for Cognitive Analytic Therapy is on HMRC’s approved list of professional organisations where members may claim tax relief for their annual membership subscriptions (core subscription).
ACAT’s listing by HMRC can be checked through this HMRC link (ACAT to be found under “C” for Cognitive Analytic Therapy Association): https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/professional-bodies-approved-for-tax-relief-list-3
Quoting from the HMRC website (link as above):
Approved professional organisations and learned societies
Updated 29 June 2017
You can reclaim tax you pay on fees or subscriptions to some approved professional organisations - but only if you must have membership to do your job or it’s helpful for your work.
You can’t claim tax back on fees or subscriptions you’ve paid to professional organisations not approved by HM Revenue and Customs, or for:
- life membership subscriptions
- fees or subscriptions you haven’t paid for yourself, eg your employer has paid for them
How to claim
The way you claim tax relief on expenses depends on the amount you’re claiming for.
Claims up to £2,500
You should make your claim:
- using a Self Assessment tax return if you already fill one in
- online or by printing and posting form P87 if you don’t already fill in a tax return
- by phone if you’ve had a successful claim in a previous year and your expenses are less than £1,000 (or £2,500 for professional fees and subscriptions)
Please access the HMRC website for appropriate forms and information re any potential tax relief claim https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-employees/overview
Please note this guidance may not be up to date and is always subject to current HMRC guidance: www.gov.uk