1.1. Register as a User of the site - FREE
We warmly invite you to register as a User of the Site – this is FREE of charge and if you are new to the site and therefore not a trainee or other member of ACAT you may find it helpful. It will allow us to provide you with additional functions and services through the site – for example it will allow you to book into our events online. All you need to do is register your name, postal address and email here. Once registered, you can apply to become a Friend of ACAT if you wish:
1.2. Friend of ACAT - a non membership category for those with an interest in CAT
The annual fee to be a Friend of ACAT is currently £50 per year.
A Friend of ACAT is a non-membership category for people who have an interest in CAT and the aims and objectives of ACAT but who are not trained or qualified in CAT. It is required that any person applying to be a Friend of ACAT is obliged to disclose if they have been disciplined or struck off by any professional or regulatory body or have any suspensions or restrictions in place. ACAT also reserves the right to withold or withdraw Friend of ACAT status at any time at its sole discretion. Any such decision is final.
As a Friend you will be able to participate in the ACAT community. Once you‘ve registered as a Site User you can then apply to become a Friend of ACAT and make payment using your credit or debit card using our secure payment facility. Click to become a Friend of ACAT NOW ... pay here.
As a Friend, you will receive the following benefits:
Note: ACAT has been recognised by the Centre for Workforce Intelligence (CfWI) allowing CAT Therapists / Practitioners to use the protected title Psychological Therapist
2.1. CAT Therapist / Practitioner Membership (Voting) or
2.2. CAT Psychotherapist Membership (Voting)
A Voting Full Membership of ACAT by virtue of having completed practitioner or psychotherapy training in CAT and gaining ACAT accreditation.
CAT Therapist / Practitioner Membership is currently £98.
CAT Psychotherapist Membership is currently £165.
2.3. Practitioner CAT Trainee Membership (Non-Voting)
A Trainee Member of ACAT who is currently registered as undertaking an ACAT accredited therapist / practitioner training or working for accreditation through Accreditation of Prior Experience and Learning. This is a non-voting category.
Practitioner CAT Trainee Membership is currently £87.
Membership Benefits for Psychotherapist, Practitioner, Life, Trainee Foundation and Trainee Practitioner Members include:
- ACAT accredited CAT Therapists / Practitioners and CAT Psychotherapists members' names are held on a Register of Members. ACAT is able to validate those accreditations to enquirers looking for a therapist (no further information is given) (not applicable to trainees).
- Reformulation, the journal of the Association of Cognitive Analytic Therapy, containing case studies, research reports, news and views. Two editions per annum posted to your door.
- ACAT’s e-newsletter – news and views from inside ACAT direct to your inbox.
- Networking and training opportunities
- Special interest and regional groups - meetings and opportunities to join local, regional and on-line networks and special interest groups
- Local and national CPD events – reduced rates for members at many events
- ACAT’s National Conference – reduced rates for members to our annual conference
- Access to the ACAT library with downloadable CAT related journal articles
- Access to the ACAT research support network
- Ability to download ACAT resources and documents to support your work
- Referral opportunities via ACAT’s Find A Therapist search function (not trainees or retired members) with links to your private website
- Possible tax relief on membership subscriptions. Click here
2.4. Foundation CAT Trainee Membership (Non-Voting)
A Trainee Member of ACAT who is currently registered as undertaking a foundation training or working for accreditation through Accreditation of Prior Experience and Learning. This is a non-voting category.
Foundation CAT Trainee Membership is currently £87.
Once accredited, Foundation CAT Trainees may retain this same category of membership (Foundation Trainee) for a maximum of six years – see below.
If Foundation Graduates wish to remain trainee members of ACAT, then they would be required to be in regular supervision in line with ACAT CPD policy for a minimum of 1.5 hrs per month. They can then practice CAT within their core profession/professional role as trainee members of ACAT under supervision with an accredited CAT therapist/supervisor.
If graduates of CAT Foundation courses later go on to do a CAT Therapist/Practitioner second year of training there is a total six year registration period from the start of the Foundation Course to completion of the second year of CAT Practitioner training.
If they choose not to do further training, the CAT trainee membership will end after a maximum total of three years (one year foundation training followed by two years after) or before if the trainee wishes. If graduates of foundation courses do not wish to remain trainee members of ACAT after the one year course, they can become a “Friend of ACAT” and can use CAT concepts within their professional role.
2.5. Non-practising Membership (Non Voting) for CAT Therapist / Practitioner or CAT Psychotherapist Members
Non-practising Membership of ACAT is for CAT Therapist / Practitioner or CAT Psychotherapist members who are in situations requiring extended non practising leave such as maternity, adoption, illness, family crisis, formal sabbatical etc.
The Non-practising Membership Fee is currently £32 per annum.
2.6. Retired Membership (Non-Voting)
A Retired Member of ACAT who is fully retired from CAT practice and who wishes to keep in touch with ACAT. It will include 'Reformulation'. Non-voting membership.
Retired Membership Fee is currently £32.
2.7. Life Membership of ACAT (Voting)
Life Membership can be awarded to any person who has, in the opinion of the Trustees, made an exceptional contribution to the work of the Charity or the promotion of its objects. It will be conferred as a mark of recognition and will not be an automatic progression. Life Membership is a fully voting membership.
If your accredited ACAT Membership has lapsed and you would like to rejoin ACAT please go to the next page for full information: Lapsed Accredited ACAT Membership and Rejoining Process
It is important to note that whilst lapsed, in a non-practising period or when a re-joining member ie not a full member of ACAT:
1. You may not make any claim or advertisement that you are a member of ACAT, or that any work you do is approved or endorsed by ACAT
2. Any work you do whilst not a full member of ACAT will not in the future count towards any accreditation you may wish to pursue (eg Foundation, Practitioner, Psychotherapist or Supervisor accreditation).
3. Any work you do whilst not a member of ACAT will not count towards others' accreditations (eg, if you supervise or train (in any capacity) any Foundation, CAT Practitioner, Psychotherapist, Supervisor or Skills trainees, or offer training therapies).
Please do not hesitate to contact ACAT Administration if you have any membership queries.
Tel: 01305 263511
This site has recently been updated to be Mobile Friendly. We are working through the pages to check everything is working properly. If you spot a problem please email email@example.com and we'll look into it. Thank you.